Feeling Stressed? Try These Arts and Crafts
If you’re feeling anxious and worried, you’re not alone. The ADAA (Anxiety and Depression Association of America) reports that more than 40 million American adults suffer from anxiety. 18% of the population combats anxiety every day. Anxiety is a problem that can fester when it’s ignored. Bottling up your fears and emotions will make your anxiety worse. Don’t fall down the rabbit hole of “what ifs.” Instead, find healthy ways to express what you’re feeling. Everyone needs a creative outlet for stress.
Crafting can be an excellent way to manage your anxiety. Arts and crafts aren’t only for kids and times of boredom. Craft projects provide anxiety relief by relaxing your racing mind. You can shift your focus from stressful thoughts to a fun art activity. Creating something beautiful with your own two hands may boost your confidence. People who do arts and crafts before bedtime generally sleep better too. Crafting is a great DIY expressive art therapy for many people. Below are some arts and crafts project ideas to help you defeat your anxiety.
1. Diamond Painting
Diamond painting is a newer craft that may help switch off your anxious brain. Diamond painting is similar to paint-by-number kits and cross-stitch. Beautiful painting patterns are printed onto sticky glue paper. Using a pen-like tool, you’ll place resin diamonds called drills in the correct squares. Your stress will be silenced as you arrange the shiny gems into a lovely portrait. Once finished, colorful diamond paintings can be framed to add sparkle and happiness to your room.
2. Adult Coloring
Children have been coloring for years, so why can’t their parents? Adult coloring books are increasingly popular to help unwind and induce a state of meditation. Adults can find thousands of detailed, intricate coloring patterns to help unwind. You can use crayons, colored pencils, or markers to color inside the lines. Coloring puts you in the drivers seat as you pick each color. Whether it’s coloring beautiful mandalas, flowers, animals, and landscapes you’ll notice it may banish your negative energy.
Crochet has been a form of anxiety relief since the 19th century. Crochet is a needlework art that involves pulling a curved hook through yarn loops. Unlike knitting, you won’t have to juggle two long needles. Learning basic crochet stitches is easy with how-to YouTube videos. With some practice, you’ll start crocheting hats, scarves, handbags, and blankets for everyone. Crocheting gets you lost in repetitive hand motions to relax your mind and just flow. Here are some starter kits that you can try.
Creating a clay sculpture could help you sculpt a better mental state. Simply kneading your fingers into clay stimulates your brain and senses for a calming effect. You can also let out pent-up anger by smashing and whacking the clay before you form your design. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty. Mold the clay into whatever shape inspires you. Whether it’s a vase, rose, or turtle, carve your design and then simply let it air-dry. If you don’t have clay, you might consider using playdough, beeswax, or putty. We’ve listed some of the best clay for sculpting here.
Collaging perhaps gives you the most freedom of expression. Collages are assembled from various kinds of paper, images, and fabrics. With glue, you attach each item onto paper or particleboard for a cohesive display. Unlike some arts and crafts, collages can become three-dimensional with several layers of materials. Collaging works great for anxiety relief when you focus on uplifting messages. Pick a positive theme, such as family, puppies, fashion, or music.
6. Rock Painting
Do you live near a beach, riverbed, or forest with an abundance of rocks? Turn them into works of art. Rock painting is a therapeutic craft that brings many people joy and comfort. Start by scrubbing the rock clean of mud and dirt. Apply a base coat of acrylic black or white paint. Then, let your imagination run wild and paint away. Rocks can suddenly transform into colorful creatures like frogs and rabbits. Spray on a weather-resistant sealer and exhibit painted rocks in your garden. Our family loves to go on hikes; while we’re out we look for rocks to paint and then on our next hike we leave our painted rocks for other hikes to find and enjoy. It’s a fun and simple way to unwind and maybe even uplift someone else’s spirits through arts and crafts.
Baking is uniquely an edible art and craft project that can sometimes literally melt away your worries. Getting in the kitchen helps many bakers feed their soul and stomach to cope with anxiety. Break out your old family recipes and start mixing. Baking cookies, cupcakes, brownies, cakes, and bread galore can take a big bite out of your nerves. Don’t forget about decorating your baked creations too. Have fun with arranging colorful sprinkles, frosting, fruit, and candies on top.
Creating something out of wood is a good way to boost your confidence and feeling of accomplishment. There are lots of guides here that will show you step by step directions on how to make countless items out of wood, like this wine rack.
We encourage you to channel your anxious energy into whatever creative endeavors speak to you. Arrange a gorgeous floral centerpiece for your table. Sew a vibrant dress or blouse to brighten your day. Go for a nature walk and snap some photos. Create a scrapbook filled with happy memories. Blend your own candles with aromatic, healing essential oils. Use an embroidery machine or hand embroider to embroider a pillow with a funny saying that makes you giggle. Art and craft projects incorporating any medium can help you overcome anxiety and stress while creating something beautiful.
Explore more Arts, Crafts and DIY
- The Best Tape for Fabric to Easily and Quickly Hem Clothes and Other Materials
- Ten Crochet Stitches To Level Up Your Skills (2021 Update)
- 11 Fourth of July Crafts and Decorations (2021)
- The Best String For Making Wind Chimes
- Crochet Flowers that Plant Lovers Should Try
- Crochet Animals for Animal Lovers
- Best Crochet Starter Kit Reviews: A Detailed Guide for 2021
- Crochet Elf Hat Pattern Ideas for the Holidays
- 16 Creative Bulky Yarn Crochet Pattern Ideas
- DIY Belt Sander Ideas to add to your tools
- DIY Pool Table Plans for Your Home
- DIY Shoes – 12 ways to spice it up
- DIY Dress Form Ideas for Your Designing Needs
- 20 Adorable Crafts with Teddy Bear Faces
- DIY Pottery Wheel for your next project
- The 7 Best Embroidery Scissors of 2021: How to Choose & Where to Buy
- The Top 6 Best Iron for Quilting: How to Choose & Where to Buy
- The 5 Best Brushes for Painting Miniatures: How to Choose & Where to Buy
- The 4 Best Wooden Model Ship Kits: How to Choose & Where to Buy
- What is Qiviut Yarn?
- The Top 3 Best DIY 3D Printer Kits: How to Choose & Where to Buy
- The 5 Best Sewing Machine for Free Motion Quilting
- The Best Serger Thread for Smooth Seaming: How to Choose & Where to Buy
- DIY envelope ideas: 12 Cheap yet Priceless project
- The Best Self Threading Serger – Top 3 Reviews
- Crochet Christmas Tree Skirt Ideas
- The Best Thread for Machine Quilting: How to Choose & Where to Buy
- Best Batting for Baby Quilts: How to Choose & Where to Buy
- DIY Christmas Tree Ideas for You
- What is Ponte Knit?
- Top 5 Picks for the Best Glue for Miniatures
- DIY Christmas Tree Bow Topper Ideas
- DIY Cardboard Christmas Tree Crafts for you
- The 7 Best Coverstitch Machine Reviewed
- DIY Christmas Ornaments to Try
- Right Twist Knitting: A Comprehensive Guide
- DIY Christmas Costumes for you to make (2020)
- DIY Christmas Decorations for the Holidays
- What are the Three Techniques Used in Basket Weaving?
- How To Arm Knit Like a Pro
- The 3 Best Diamond Painting Kits to Add a Little Sparkle to Your Life
- Your Guide to Wrap and Turn in Knitting
- How to Hand Quilt Without a Hoop
- DIY Watercolor Christmas Cards for the Artsy
- How to Count Rows in Knitting
- How Long Does it Take to Knit a Scarf?
- DIY Christmas Gifts: 15 Heartfelt Gift Ideas
- Easy Acrylic Painting Ideas for Beginners on Canvas
- How to Knit a Blanket with Circular Needles
- Crafty Fringe Crochet Pattern Ideas
- How to Remove Embroidery Quick: 4 Simple and Easy Steps
- The 5 Best Pool Table Felt for an Award-Winning Game of Pool
- The 8 Best Handheld Sewing Machine of 2021 Reviewed
- Crochet Neck Warmer Patterns
- DIY Wood Christmas Tree Crafts
- Pool Table Dining Table: 5 Best Reviewed and Buying Guide
- DIY Upside Down Christmas Tree Ideas to Try
- Crochet Christmas Crafts for Everyone
- DIY Christmas Card Ideas for Festive Season
- Mens Crochet Hat Crafts for You
- DIY Christmas Elf Costume Ideas for You
- DIY Christmas Shirts and Sweaters
- Crochet Blanket Patterns for Comfy Nights
- 15 Crochet Pet Patterns
- How To Double Crochet – Crochet For Beginners 2020
- What Can I Crochet With Cotton Yarn?
- Halloween Activities for Families
- How to Crochet a Scarf – Crochet For Beginners 2020
- How to Paint on Glass: The Ultimate Guide
- The Most Adorable Unicorn Crochet Patterns
- 20 Interesting Indoor Firewood Storage Ideas
- DIY Masquerade Mask Ideas for Your Fancy Party
- Magic Embroidery Pen: Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- A Brief Guide on How to Make a Crochet Needle
- The Definitive Guide of How Embroidery Works
- Famous Embroidery from Around the World
- Everything You Need to Know About the History of Embroidery
- How Embroidery Technology Is Revolutionizing the Industry
- Leaves Arts and Crafts
- Eggs Carton Crafts
- The 5 Best Thread for Hand Embroidery – The Complete Guide
- What Kind of Yarn Do You Use to Make Scrubbies?
- How To Use A Crochet Hook
- How Long Are Knitting Needles?
- Fun Toddler Food Ideas
- How to Decorate with Cattails
- The 8 Best Calligraphy Sets for Beginners Reviewed
- The 9 Best Candle Making Kits of 2021 Reviewed
- The Top 8 Best Yarn Swift to Step up your Knitting Game With
- How to Reuse Playdough Container Lids
- The 7 Best Yarn for Baby Blankets Review of 2021
- The 5 Best Clay for Sculpting to Get Crafty with Right Away
- Best Printer for Heat Transfers Reviews in 2021
- The 10 Best Yarn Bowls That Will Change Your Knitting Experience: Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles for 2021
- How to Make a Stylish Wooden Wine Rack for Your Countertop
- Crochet Coasters for the Crafty
- The 6 Best Embroidery Machine for Beginners
- How to Make Homemade Fall Potpourri
- How to Make Bird Feeders with Household Items