Feeling Stressed? Try These Arts and Crafts
If you’re feeling anxious and worried, you’re not alone. The ADAA (Anxiety and Depression Association of America) reports that more than 40 million American adults suffer from anxiety. 18% of the population combats anxiety every day. Anxiety is a problem that can fester when it’s ignored. Bottling up your fears and emotions will make your anxiety worse. Don’t fall down the rabbit hole of “what ifs.” Instead, find healthy ways to express what you’re feeling. Everyone needs a creative outlet for stress.
Crafting can be an excellent way to manage your anxiety. Arts and crafts aren’t only for kids and times of boredom. Craft projects provide anxiety relief by relaxing your racing mind. You can shift your focus from stressful thoughts to a fun art activity. Creating something beautiful with your own two hands may boost your confidence. People who do arts and crafts before bedtime generally sleep better too. Crafting is a great DIY expressive art therapy for many people. Below are some arts and crafts project ideas to help you defeat your anxiety.
1. Diamond Painting
Diamond painting is a newer craft that may help switch off your anxious brain. Diamond painting is similar to paint-by-number kits and cross-stitch. Beautiful painting patterns are printed onto sticky glue paper. Using a pen-like tool, you’ll place resin diamonds called drills in the correct squares. Your stress will be silenced as you arrange the shiny gems into a lovely portrait. Once finished, colorful diamond paintings can be framed to add sparkle and happiness to your room.
2. Adult Coloring
Children have been coloring for years, so why can’t their parents? Adult coloring books are increasingly popular to help unwind and induce a state of meditation. Adults can find thousands of detailed, intricate coloring patterns to help unwind. You can use crayons, colored pencils, or markers to color inside the lines. Coloring puts you in the drivers seat as you pick each color. Whether it’s coloring beautiful mandalas, flowers, animals, and landscapes you’ll notice it may banish your negative energy.
Crochet has been a form of anxiety relief since the 19th century. Crochet is a needlework art that involves pulling a curved hook through yarn loops. Unlike knitting, you won’t have to juggle two long needles. Learning basic crochet stitches is easy with how-to YouTube videos. With some practice, you’ll start crocheting hats, scarves, handbags, and blankets for everyone. Crocheting gets you lost in repetitive hand motions to relax your mind and just flow. Here are some starter kits that you can try.
Creating a clay sculpture could help you sculpt a better mental state. Simply kneading your fingers into clay stimulates your brain and senses for a calming effect. You can also let out pent-up anger by smashing and whacking the clay before you form your design. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty. Mold the clay into whatever shape inspires you. Whether it’s a vase, rose, or turtle, carve your design and then simply let it air-dry. If you don’t have clay, you might consider using playdough, beeswax, or putty. We’ve listed some of the best clay for sculpting here.
Collaging perhaps gives you the most freedom of expression. Collages are assembled from various kinds of paper, images, and fabrics. With glue, you attach each item onto paper or particleboard for a cohesive display. Unlike some arts and crafts, collages can become three-dimensional with several layers of materials. Collaging works great for anxiety relief when you focus on uplifting messages. Pick a positive theme, such as family, puppies, fashion, or music.
6. Rock Painting
Do you live near a beach, riverbed, or forest with an abundance of rocks? Turn them into works of art. Rock painting is a therapeutic craft that brings many people joy and comfort. Start by scrubbing the rock clean of mud and dirt. Apply a base coat of acrylic black or white paint. Then, let your imagination run wild and paint away. Rocks can suddenly transform into colorful creatures like frogs and rabbits. Spray on a weather-resistant sealer and exhibit painted rocks in your garden. Our family loves to go on hikes; while we’re out we look for rocks to paint and then on our next hike we leave our painted rocks for other hikes to find and enjoy. It’s a fun and simple way to unwind and maybe even uplift someone else’s spirits through arts and crafts.
Baking is uniquely an edible art and craft project that can sometimes literally melt away your worries. Getting in the kitchen helps many bakers feed their soul and stomach to cope with anxiety. Break out your old family recipes and start mixing. Baking cookies, cupcakes, brownies, cakes, and bread galore can take a big bite out of your nerves. Don’t forget about decorating your baked creations too. Have fun with arranging colorful sprinkles, frosting, fruit, and candies on top.
Creating something out of wood is a good way to boost your confidence and feeling of accomplishment. There are lots of guides here that will show you step by step directions on how to make countless items out of wood, like this wine rack.
We encourage you to channel your anxious energy into whatever creative endeavors speak to you. Arrange a gorgeous floral centerpiece for your table. Sew a vibrant dress or blouse to brighten your day. Go for a nature walk and snap some photos. Create a scrapbook filled with happy memories. Blend your own candles with aromatic, healing essential oils. Use an embroidery machine or hand embroider to embroider a pillow with a funny saying that makes you giggle. Art and craft projects incorporating any medium can help you overcome anxiety and stress while creating something beautiful.
Explore more Arts, Crafts and DIY
- The Ultimate Wall Candle Holders Guide
- The Ultimate Wooden Candle Holders Guide
- The Best Tall Candle Holders
- The Best Macrame Cord
- The Best Cashmere Yarn
- Macrame Yarn Guide
- Bamboo Yarn Guide For 2021
- How To Make Vinyl Stickers
- The Best Loop Yarn Guide
- The Best Knitting Machines
- The Best Stitch Markers For Knitting And Crochet
- How to Make Tassels with Yarn
- How To Make A Bow Out Of Satin Ribbon — A Step By Step Guide
- Model Tugboat Kits
- How To Attach Patches Without Sewing
- The 6 Best Model Battleship Kits on the Market
- How To Make Your Own DIY Yarn Winder in 8 Easy Steps
- Types Of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide
- Is Polyester Stretchy?
- How To Make Iron On Patches
- Choosing Wood Wicks For Candle Making
- How To Dye Polyester Fabric
- Arm Knitting Yarns – Your Ultimate Guide
- What Is The Standard Size Of A Placemat When Sewing?
- How Much Is A Yard Of Fabric?
- Electric Scissors For Cutting Fabric – The Ultimate Guide
- What Is A Pressing Cloth For Ironing?
- Polyester Vs Microfiber: Which Is Better?
- How To Dye Wool Fabric
- All You Need To Know To Bake Polymer Clay
- 8 Baby Quilt Kits For Your Little One
- Best Binding Machine for Every Project
- Top 5 Mechanical Sewing Machines for Beginners
- How Long Does it Take to Knit a Scarf?
- DIY Christmas Gifts: 15 Heartfelt Gift Ideas
- The Best Stamps For Card Making
- 5 Best Yarn For Weaving
- The Best Cross Stitch Frames
- Diy plant stand ideas
- How to make kandi bracelets
- Crochet Neck Warmer Patterns
- DIY Wood Christmas Tree Crafts
- Is Cross Stitch And Embroidery The Same Thing?
- Top 15 Candlemaking Ideas Anyone Can Try
- How To Sew A Hooded Cloak step by step
- How To Make A Flat Scarf On A Round Loom
- Mens Crochet Hat Crafts for You
- DIY Cupcake Bath Bombs
- DIY Christmas Shirts and Sweaters
- BEST KNITTING NEEDLE GAUGES
- 15 Crochet Pet Patterns
- The Art Of Calligraphy
- Halloween Activities for Families
- The Most Adorable Unicorn Crochet Patterns
- What Is a Serger Sewing Machine Used for?
- The Best Embroidery Needles of 2021
- 20 Interesting Indoor Firewood Storage Ideas
- DIY Masquerade Mask Ideas for Your Fancy Party
- Top 16 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machines For 2021
- Magic Embroidery Pen: Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- A Brief Guide on How to Make a Crochet Needle
- How To Make a Coin Necklace
- The 5 Best Thread for Hand Embroidery – The Complete Guide
- How to Fade Jeans
- How to Make a Bed Quilt The Right Size
- Best Origami Kits for 2021
- Popular Styles and Techniques of Quilting
- How To Tea Stain Fabric – The Secrets To Tea Dyeing
- What Kind of Yarn Do You Use to Make Scrubbies?
- How To Use a Crochet Hook
- The Top 5 Best Soldering Irons for Jewelry Making: Your Ultimate Guide
- The 8 Best Handheld Sewing Machine of 2021 Reviewed
- 6 Best Sewing Needle Holders
- 6 Best Transfer Papers for Vinyl
- 5 Best Electric Pottery Wheels For 2021
- The 9 Best Candle Making Kits of 2021 Reviewed
- Best Glue To Use For Paper Mache
- Best Fragrance Oils for Soy Candles In 2021
- The 7 Best Yarn for Baby Blankets Review of 2021
- 5 Best Yarn for Amigurumi in 2021
- 5 Best Wire for Sculptures In 2021
- Best stencil material for cricut
- 4 Best Chisel Sharpeners Reviews of 2021
- Best Paints for Leather
- Best Jewelry Making Kits
- The 7 Best Acrylic Paint Pens of 2021: How to Choose & Where to Buy
- Best Watercolor Crayons for Crafts
- The Best Paint for Air Dry Clay for Optimal Results
- The Best Tape for Fabric to Easily and Quickly Hem Clothes and Other Materials
- Ten Crochet Stitches To Level Up Your Skills (2021 Update)
- 11 Fourth of July Crafts and Decorations (2021)
- The Best String For Making Wind Chimes
- Crochet Flowers that Plant Lovers Should Try
- Crochet Animals for Animal Lovers
- Best Crochet Starter Kit Reviews: A Detailed Guide for 2021
- Crochet Elf Hat Pattern Ideas for the Holidays
- 16 Creative Bulky Yarn Crochet Pattern Ideas
- DIY Belt Sander Ideas to add to your tools
- DIY Pool Table Plans for Your Home
- DIY Shoes – 12 ways to spice it up