Feeling Stressed? Try These Arts and Crafts
If you’re feeling anxious and worried, you’re not alone. The ADAA (Anxiety and Depression Association of America) reports that more than 40 million American adults suffer from anxiety. 18% of the population combats anxiety every day. Anxiety is a problem that can fester when it’s ignored. Bottling up your fears and emotions will make your anxiety worse. Don’t fall down the rabbit hole of “what ifs.” Instead, find healthy ways to express what you’re feeling. Everyone needs a creative outlet for stress.
Crafting can be an excellent way to manage your anxiety. Arts and crafts aren’t only for kids and times of boredom. Craft projects provide anxiety relief by relaxing your racing mind. You can shift your focus from stressful thoughts to a fun art activity. Creating something beautiful with your own two hands may boost your confidence. People who do arts and crafts before bedtime generally sleep better too. Crafting is a great DIY expressive art therapy for many people. Below are some arts and crafts project ideas to help you defeat your anxiety.
1. Diamond Painting
Diamond painting is a newer craft that may help switch off your anxious brain. Diamond painting is similar to paint-by-number kits and cross-stitch. Beautiful painting patterns are printed onto sticky glue paper. Using a pen-like tool, you’ll place resin diamonds called drills in the correct squares. Your stress will be silenced as you arrange the shiny gems into a lovely portrait. Once finished, colorful diamond paintings can be framed to add sparkle and happiness to your room.
2. Adult Coloring
Children have been coloring for years, so why can’t their parents? Adult coloring books are increasingly popular to help unwind and induce a state of meditation. Adults can find thousands of detailed, intricate coloring patterns to help unwind. You can use crayons, colored pencils, or markers to color inside the lines. Coloring puts you in the drivers seat as you pick each color. Whether it’s coloring beautiful mandalas, flowers, animals, and landscapes you’ll notice it may banish your negative energy.
Crochet has been a form of anxiety relief since the 19th century. Crochet is a needlework art that involves pulling a curved hook through yarn loops. Unlike knitting, you won’t have to juggle two long needles. Learning basic crochet stitches is easy with how-to YouTube videos. With some practice, you’ll start crocheting hats, scarves, handbags, and blankets for everyone. Crocheting gets you lost in repetitive hand motions to relax your mind and just flow. Here are some starter kits that you can try.
Creating a clay sculpture could help you sculpt a better mental state. Simply kneading your fingers into clay stimulates your brain and senses for a calming effect. You can also let out pent-up anger by smashing and whacking the clay before you form your design. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty. Mold the clay into whatever shape inspires you. Whether it’s a vase, rose, or turtle, carve your design and then simply let it air-dry. If you don’t have clay, you might consider using playdough, beeswax, or putty. We’ve listed some of the best clay for sculpting here.
Collaging perhaps gives you the most freedom of expression. Collages are assembled from various kinds of paper, images, and fabrics. With glue, you attach each item onto paper or particleboard for a cohesive display. Unlike some arts and crafts, collages can become three-dimensional with several layers of materials. Collaging works great for anxiety relief when you focus on uplifting messages. Pick a positive theme, such as family, puppies, fashion, or music.
6. Rock Painting
Do you live near a beach, riverbed, or forest with an abundance of rocks? Turn them into works of art. Rock painting is a therapeutic craft that brings many people joy and comfort. Start by scrubbing the rock clean of mud and dirt. Apply a base coat of acrylic black or white paint. Then, let your imagination run wild and paint away. Rocks can suddenly transform into colorful creatures like frogs and rabbits. Spray on a weather-resistant sealer and exhibit painted rocks in your garden. Our family loves to go on hikes; while we’re out we look for rocks to paint and then on our next hike we leave our painted rocks for other hikes to find and enjoy. It’s a fun and simple way to unwind and maybe even uplift someone else’s spirits through arts and crafts.
Baking is uniquely an edible art and craft project that can sometimes literally melt away your worries. Getting in the kitchen helps many bakers feed their soul and stomach to cope with anxiety. Break out your old family recipes and start mixing. Baking cookies, cupcakes, brownies, cakes, and bread galore can take a big bite out of your nerves. Don’t forget about decorating your baked creations too. Have fun with arranging colorful sprinkles, frosting, fruit, and candies on top.
Creating something out of wood is a good way to boost your confidence and feeling of accomplishment. There are lots of guides here that will show you step by step directions on how to make countless items out of wood, like this wine rack.
We encourage you to channel your anxious energy into whatever creative endeavors speak to you. Arrange a gorgeous floral centerpiece for your table. Sew a vibrant dress or blouse to brighten your day. Go for a nature walk and snap some photos. Create a scrapbook filled with happy memories. Blend your own candles with aromatic, healing essential oils. Use an embroidery machine or hand embroider to embroider a pillow with a funny saying that makes you giggle. Art and craft projects incorporating any medium can help you overcome anxiety and stress while creating something beautiful.
Explore Other Arts, Crafts, DIY and More
- How To Get Cells In Acrylic Pour
- DIY Ideas for a Toddler Boy’s Room
- 15 Super Fun Pedicure Ideas
- 15 Creative kids Reading Nook Ideas
- Oil Based Clay
- What is Seam Binding?
- 13 Easy Beginner Wood Carving Projects
- Brocade Fabric
- How Wide Is A Bolt Of Fabric?
- How To Shorten A Dress
- What Is A Camisole?
- What Is Interlock Knit Fabric?
- All About Table Runners: Everything You Need to Know
- What Is Cricut Infusible Ink?
- The Ultimate Baby Blanket Size Guide
- How To Use A Hot Glue On Fabric Without Damaging It
- What is the Best Spray Paint for Fabric?
- Acrylic Paint On Metal
- How to Get Hot Glue Off the Fabric?
- Painting Over Polyurethane
- How To Properly Sew Ribbons and Elastics On Pointe Shoes
- Using Acrylic Paint On Plastic
- Using Acrylic Paint On Leather
- How To Paint Brass Properly
- 5 Best Fabrics That Drape Well
- How To Seal Acrylic Paint Properly
- How To Get Highlighter Out Of Clothes (The Most Effective Ways)
- Using Acrylic Paint on Nails
- Ways To Thicken Acrylic Paint
- Gluing Plastic To Wood (The Best Way)
- How Long Does It Take For Stain to Dry on Wood?
- What Is Tempera Paint?
- How To Remove Screen Printing From Clothes (9 Most Effective Ways)
- How to Make a Candle Wick
- Guide To Staining Whitewood
- Height Adjustable Table Legs For Your DIY Tabletop
- 15 Most Useful Tools To Make Holes In Wood
- Best Button Making Machines (Top 11)
- Can You Really Use Acrylic Paint on Wood?
- How To Get Candle Wax Out Of Jar ( 5 Easy Ways)
- Best Pottery Aprons (7 Top Picks)
- Best Quilt Hangers (Our Top 7 Picks)
- 29 DIY Fall Photoshoot Ideas
- Best Quilting Tables (Top 9 Picks)
- Junk Journaling – What Is It?
- How To Remove Heat Stains From Wood
- How Long To Let Tie-Dye Sit Before Rinsing?
- Diy Fairy Costume (15 Awesome Ideas)
- What Thinner Should Be Used For Enamel Paint?
- DIY Table Legs (23 Simple Ideas)
- All About Pyrography
- How To Make Black Paint
- How Long Does Spray Paint Take To Dry?
- Elastomeric Paint – What Is This Awesome Paint?
- What Exactly Is Geometrical Drawing?
- What Is The Difference Between Paint And Ink?
- The 7 Best Glitter Paint For Walls
- How To Make Red Paint
- The 5 Best Glitter Tumblers
- The 5 Best Epoxy Resin For Tumblers
- The 6 Best Bath Bomb Molds
- What Is Mod Podge?
- The 20 Best Silicone Molds For Resin
- What Is Tole Painting?
- What Is Gesso And How To Make Your Own Gesso?
- What Is Slub Knit?
- 16 Easy and Quick Crafts to Do When Bored
- The 17 Best Paint Markers For Metal, Stone Painting, And More
- Does Polyester Shrink?
- Finding The Best Quilt Rack For Your Guest Bedroom
- Ramie Fabrics
- What Is Wheel Throwing?
- The 4 Main Types Of Clay
- How to Get Wrinkles Out of Polyester
- Top 7 Canvases For Watercolor
- Stages of Clay 101
- 5 Best Stained Glass Kits
- What Is Pima Cotton?
- How To Remove Vinyl From Shirts?
- 8 Best Mug Press Machines On The Market
- 9 Great Art Kits For Teens
- Types of woven fabrics
- What is Shibori?
- Best Rotary Cutter For Fabric
- What Is Smocking?
- What Is Bobbin Lace?
- What Is Terylene Fabric?
- What Is Polypropylene Fabric?
- What Is Liverpool Fabric?
- What Is Acrylic Fabric?
- Different Types of Dresses for Women
- All About Water Resistant Fabrics
- What is Minky Fabric?
- What Is Twill Fabric?
- What Is Sherpa Fleece?
- How To Put A Zipper Back On
- The Different Types Of Pleats
- The 8 Best Heat Press Tables
- How To Make Butter Slime
- Is Polyester Warm Enough For Winter?