If you are looking for a fun and creative way to show off your summer style, try making one of these DIY seashell necklaces! These necklaces are easy to make and can be customized to match any outfit. Whether you prefer a simple strand of shells or a more elaborate design, we have got you covered. Check out these 20 DIY Seashell Necklace Ideas and find the perfect project for you!
For many of us, the sea is a place of peace and serenity, unperturbed by the worries and preoccupations of the city life. Take a piece of the sea with you with these inexpensive and simple seashell necklace crafts. While you are at it, maybe you might want to create a DIY Make up Vanity as well.
First, gather your supplies. For most of these projects, you will need just a few basic materials including seashells, glue, string or wire, and scissors. If you don’t have any shells on hand, you can find a variety of seashells online or at your local craft store.
Once you have gathered your supplies, it’s time to get started! We will start with the simplest project and work our way up to more complex designs. So let’s get started!
Simple Seashell Necklace
This is the perfect project for beginners! All you need is a strand of beads, some glue, and some pretty seashells.
Start by gluing the shells onto the beads. You can use as many or as few shells as you like. Once the glue has dried, string the beads onto a piece of wire or string and tie a knot at the end. That’s it! You’ve just made a beautiful seashell necklace.
Seashell Pendant Necklace
This project is similar to the first, but instead of stringing the shells onto beads, you will glue them directly onto a piece of wire or string. Start by forming the wire into a loop. This will be the top of your pendant. Then, glue shells around the loop until it is completely covered. Let the glue dry and then add a jump ring to the top of your pendant so that you can attach a chain or cord.
braided Seashell Necklace
This necklace has a little bit more of an intricate design, but it is still easy to make. Start by braiding three pieces of string together. Then, glue the shells onto one of the strings. Make sure that you leave enough space at the end of the string to tie a knot. Continue gluing shells down the length of the string until you reach the other end. Tie a knot and trim any excess string.
Shell Charm Necklace
This project is perfect for adding some glamour to your look! You will need some charms, seashells, jump rings, and chain or cord. Start by attaching a jump ring to each charm and then glue a seashell onto each jump ring. Let the glue dry and then attach the charms and shells to a piece of chain or cord. Voila! You’ve got yourself a beautiful shell charm necklace.
Chandelier Seashell Necklace
This is one of our more elaborate designs, but it is definitely worth the effort! You will need plenty of shells, some wire, and some beads. Start by wiring the shells together to form a chandelier shape. Make sure that the wires are securely fastened so that the shells do not come apart. Then, add some beads to the bottom of the chandelier for decoration. Let the glue dry and then attach a jump ring to the top so that you can put it on a chain or cord.
Cluster Seashell Necklace
This necklace is similar to the shell charm necklace, but instead of using individual charms, you will be creating clusters of shells. Start by gluing three or four shells together. Once the glue has dried, attach a jump ring to the top of each cluster. Then, connect the jump rings together with some wire or chain. You can add as many or as few clusters as you like.
Seashell Beaded Necklace
This project is perfect for those who want to add a little bit of color to their seashell necklace. You will need beads in your favorite colors, seashells, glue, and thread or string. Start by threading the beads and shells onto the string. You can alternate between colors or create a pattern with the beads. Once you have reached the desired length, tie a knot at the end of the string and trim any excess.
Wrapped Seashell Necklace
This necklace has a very unique design! You will need shells, wire, and beads. Start by threading the beads onto the wire. Then, take one of the shells and wrap it around the wire so that it is snug against the beads. Continue wrapping shells until you reach the end of the wire. Make sure that each shell is snug against the one before it so that they do not move around. When you reach the end of the wire, tuck in any sharp edges and then add a jump ring so that you can put it on a chain or cord.
Seashell Button Necklace
This necklace is very simple to make and only requires a few supplies. You will need seashells, buttons, glue, and thread or string. Start by gluing the buttons onto the shells. You can use as many or as few buttons as you like. Once the glue has dried, thread the shells onto the string and tie a knot at the end. Trim any excess string and you’re done!
Rope Seashell Necklace
This necklace has a bit of a nautical feel to it! You will need seashells, rope, and glue. Start by gluing the shells onto the rope. Make sure that you leave enough space between each shell so that they do not touch. Once the glue has dried, tie a knot at each end of the rope and trim any excess. You can also add a jump ring to one end so that you can put it on a chain or cord.
Here’s 20 more Seashell Necklace Crafts
1.Shimmer Seashell Necklace – Showcase your favorite color with this stunning seashell necklace glittered and painted with nail polish.
2. Simple Waxed Cord Necklace – This necklace is highly customizable and extremely comfortable to wear, especially if you don’t like metallic necklaces.
3. Simple Seashell Necklace – Simple, understated elegance at a fraction of the time and cost, this necklace is great for anyone looking for an easy DIY project
4. Pearl In Shell Necklace – Pearl In Shell necklaces are charming, but often command a rather high price tag. Fortunately, you can actually make them yourself easily!
5. Cowrie Shell Flower Necklace – Who says only flowers can bloom? This beautiful cowrie shell flower necklace has five tiny cowrie shells pieced together like a flower and looks absolutely stunning.
6. Seashell Flower Necklace – Exquisite is an understatement with this fabulous tropical seashell flower necklace – perfect as an accessory to a floral or beach-inspired outfit.
7. Ursula Seashell Necklace – Need a dash of magic for your wardrobe? This spellbinding little necklace, inspired by the great villainess of The Little Mermaid, looks enchanting and is easy to make.
8. Hawaiian Kahelelani Shell Necklace – The shells on these necklaces are really tiny and can only be found at certain beaches of Hawaii. With hard work and a little patience, however, this elegant and chic necklace is both rewarding and fun to make.
9. Abalone Shell Necklace – This fetching abalone necklace adds just the right dash of color to your wardrobe.
10. Oyster Shell Necklace – While most people would usually go for the luster of the pearl than the asymmetric bumps and ridges of the oyster shell, this project showcases the surprising potential for the ordinary oyster shell to look ornate and classy.
11. Mermaid Necklace – This dashing seashell necklaces looks fun and would be a great craft project for kids. From the start where they find the shells to being able to wear the final project.
12. Leather Cord Seashell Necklaces – Sometimes the broken items are the ones we find the most uses for, and that applies especially to seashells with holes in them. This DIY project is prefect for the imperfect seashells collected at the beach.
13. Falling Water Necklace – With pearls, shells, and beautiful accent beads, this heavily embellished necklace is reminiscent of the ocean waves crashing against the shoreline.
14. Spiral Hemp Cowrie Necklace – Looking for a DIY project that takes your knotting skills to the next level? This necklace is both classy and ornate – perfect for any outfit.
15. Silver Leaf Shell Necklace – Sometimes, regular seashells just won’t cut it if you need something a bit more classy to wear, especially in more formal settings. This necklace, with just the right splash of silver finish, can turn any casual necklace into a glamorous, classy necklace.
16. Charmed Seashell Necklace – Need a splash of color in your wardrobe? This fun little necklace has a playful mix of charms and brightly painted seashells – perfect for any summer outfit.
17. Gold Seashell Necklace – If you’re a fan of black, classy wardrobes, this gorgeous gold seashell necklace is the perfect addition, with its balance of simplicity and luxury.
18. Seashell Statement Necklace – Nothing says “I love the beach” better than a necklace heavily adorned with pearls and shells clinking and clanking with every step.
19. Seashell Necklaces for Kids – For kids who want to take a piece of the sea with them, this fun, brightly colored necklace is a great project to try.
20. Simple Shell Choker – This simple shell choker looks great and fits snuggly around your neck.
Give a Seashell Necklace a Try Today!
There’s no limit to what you can do with seashells; with so many variations on shape and size, no two necklaces will be the same! Feel free to experiment with the shells you find, and create your own variations to suit your personality and wardrobe; the sea is the limit.
I’m a stay at home mom with our two kids. I really enjoy doing crafts with my kids however, that is typically a challenge with how limited their attention span can be and how messy it gets. So, I’m always looking for ways to make crafting an enjoyable experience and creating fond memory for all of us.