Resin casting is a fun craft for kids of all ages and skilled adult artists. In a previous guide, I talked about some of the best epoxy resin kits. These products offer the right blend of ingredients to mix resin for casting. Some then had some basic molds and tools with them. Today, I want to talk about some of the best silicone molds for resin. These are additional products where you can cast your resin into fun shapes and create something more decorative or practical.
In this guide, you will find some quick recommendations of 20 of the best silicone molds for resin. Some are more basic for newcomers that want to practice their skills. Others are themed or more practical for novelty items and gifts. We will also answers some questions and talk about key features to look out for.
10 Of The Best Silicone Resin Mold For General Use
First, I want to show you some of the more general sets of silicone molds for resin. These are more basic shapes where you can focus on more perfecting the ratios of resin, playing with dyes, and maybe adding in some other decorative items. This includes a nice set of letters for creating keychains.
1) Repinsta Silicone Resin Molds
The first set I want to highlight here is pretty simplistic, and perhaps too much so for some users. There are 5 silicone molds with basic shapes, including a sphere, cube, and pyramid. The molds are quite soft and transparent for beginners. You also get a measuring cup and some transfer pipettes to help you out.
1) East to use molds
2) Some bonus tools to help you out.
1) A beginner set with limited shapes
2) Loyohep Resin Molds Silicone Kit
This alternative set is a lot more comprehensive than the one above because there are four times as many pieces. There is also glitter for decoration. You also get more tools, such as tweezers, sticks, and droppers for a better result. This one is a bit more grown-up, but there are still mixed results and comments about the quality of the molds.
1) Lots more shapes to choose from
2) More tools to help you out
1) Some mixed comments about the quality of the pieces.
3) Alphabet Resin Silicone Molds
This is a great set for newcomers that want to play with different ideas and additive in more than just basic shapes. There are molds for each letter of the alphabet with the option to turn them into keychains with the rings and tassels. You also get a little hand drill and some glitter and sequins to add to your resin. If the resin was there it would be a complete set.
1) Lots of letters and glitter for pretty designs
2) Lots of tools to turn them into keychains
1) Everything but the resin
4) rvv Coaster Molds for Resin Casting
This next set is a little different because it lets users practice skills on a basic disc mold. But, those discs can then become coasters in an additional coaster holder. There are three molds for the coaster for a nice uniform batch, as well as the box mold. There are also some tubes of glitter to add decoration. The company says it has upgraded the molds for ease of use, so negative reviews may be related to older stock.
1) A fun practical project
2) Enough molds and glitter for a uniform set
1) Older stock may be of poor quality
5) 3 Pieces Cylinder Light Resin Mold Set
Finally, this is another where it isn’t really a basic starter set, but the molds are simple shapes. I like the concept of these pots because you not only get the molds but also a pair of wooden bases with lights on them. This turns the finished piece into a faux candle holder with some fun lighting effects. There are some issues get the piece out of the mold, but it is often worth the effort.
1) The multifunctionality of the cylinder shapes
2) The additional lighting for fun effects
1) Some issues getting the piece out of the mold
The Best Holiday-Themed Silicone Resin Molds
If you want to play with resin for a particular theme or project, a holiday-themed set may be a good choice. There are lots with Christmas and Halloween aesthetics for interesting homemade decorations. You may be surprised at some of the designs out there, such as Harry Potter and Disney. I haven’t included these because there are doubts over their legitimacy.
1) Paelai 7 Pieces Halloween Thanksgiving Resin Molds
For the first of these holiday-themed options, I have a Halloween set. There are lots of sets with pumpkins and skulls out there, but I felt this was the most diverse with the leaves, bats, and ghosts. The designs of the pumpkins and leaves also work for Thanksgiving. There are 7 pieces in total with a nice finish and easy process.
1) A good set for Thanksgiving and Halloween
2) Easy to use
1) Spookier sets are available
2) Easter Bunny Silicone Epoxy Resin Casting Molds
There isn’t much to say about these molds. I wanted to bring in something with an Easter theme and this was the best option. The shape of the bunnies is great with the long ears and stylized body. It means they could fit into woodland schemes too. But, you just get the two molds with no additional designs or decorative elements.
1) The stylish shape of the rabbits
2) The suitability for various themes
1) Not much in the box
3) Christmas Resin Mold Silicone
Here we move into a more Christmassy direction. with a fun set of molds. There are 7 pieces in total that make great decorations, especially when strung from a tree with lights behind them. The designs are childlike and thick, so great for a family project. The quality of the molds also allows for repeated use across the season.
1) Simple designs for kids to play with
2) A few potential uses for the items
1) Too childlike for everyone
4) Catcrafter Silicone Snowflake Resin Casting Molds
This is another great choice for Christmas or just a bit of winter decoration around the home. There are 11 molds here in various snowflake shapes. A nice bonus is the addition of 6 glitters, 4 pipettes, and 4 bamboo needles to help users fill the shapes. Once turned out, you can use them as tree ornaments, keychains, jewelry, and more.
1) A classic winter design with mass appeal.
2) Lots of pieces in the set
1) Some smaller pieces may be fiddly to turn out
5) DOTLITE Welcome Resin Mold
Finally, for this section on holiday-themed sets, we have a welcome sign. This sign will look great in a guest room or on a door during a visit. You can fill the 3D mold with colored resin and then use the sets of fairy lights to add another dimension to the design. There are reviews stating that this is smaller than expected, but it can still make an impact.
1) A fun piece of decor
2) Bonus fairy lights
1) Smaller than expected
10 Of The Best Silicone Resin Molds For Novelty Items
The sets above are all great if you just want to play around with different colors and designs in basic shape. But, the fun of a silicone resin mold is that you get a wide range of alternative products. These are perfect for very specific and very niche items – some that are for adults only.
1) Leopreca DIY Cup Resin Silicone Mold Craft Makeup Brush Holder plant flower pot molds, small candle holder, cup and home decor, cut crystal – just the one mold.
First up, we have a silicone mold in the shape of a pot. The listing calls this a make-up brush holder – seemingly targeting this towards teen girls. But, it could be for any small item or paintbrushes. The shape looks like cut crystal which allows for some fun effects with the resin. There is just one mold, however, so no alternative dimensions.
1) The cut crystal shape
2) The various options for using the finished item
1) Just one mold
2) Janyan 3 Pieces Pen Shape Resin Mold
This next one is a little more complex and while some hated the process, I think it is a neat idea. You get three molds to create different shaped ballpoint pens. With this version, you also get 75 refill inserts in different colors. The finished pens can look amazing. But, you do have to be careful to let the air in somewhere, or else the ink will run dry very quickly
1) A practical item
2) Different sizes and designs to play with
1) Tricky to get the pen to work
3) Tan’ Room Bottle Opener Resin Molds Kit Beer Opener Silicone Mold, with 10 Stainless Steel Beer Wrenches and Screwdriver
This is one of those sets that I mentioned was for a more adult audience. This is great for older artists that want to make interesting party favors or stocking fillers. There are various molds in different shapes and 10 stainless steel wrenches. The two combined create a functional and decorative bottle opener.
1) A fun alternative gift
2) Plenty of wrenches for multiple items
1) Make take some practice
4) Sakolla Jewelry Box Resin Mold Silicone
The design of this jewelry box stands out straight away with the fun Day of the Dead style Skull. It is the sort of design you can make as pretty or gothic as you want with your dyes and additives. The set is simple, with just the lid and the box molds. There are no colors or glitter. At 8 by 6 by 1.5 inches, it is a nice little keepsake box.
1) The size of the box
2) The scope for creative designs
1) There are no bonus features
5) Domino Resin Silicone Mold
Tabletop gaming is back in fashion, so why not let friends and family take this even further by making their own domino set. The design of the molds is straightforward with indentations for all the dots and 28 areas for a complete set. You do have to be careful to get clean edges if you want to stand them up. But, you can create some interesting themes to suit different personalities.
1) A full 28 piece set
2) A great creative gift
1) Be careful filling the molds
6) 3D Chess Piece Resin Mold Set
Another option for those that love to play desktop games is this chess piece set. There are 9 molds in total so you can create all the necessary elements from resin. The shapes follow a pretty classic design so the alternative look comes from dyes and glitter you add to the mix. Most people are happy with their pieces but some have struggled to get them out and to get a uniform finish across the board.
1)a classic look to the pieces
2)9 molds for a full set
7) ResinWorld Large Tarot Card Resin Mold Silicone, Full Set 22pcs Major Arcana Tarot Cards Deck Silicone Molds for Resin Casting, Divination Card Game Mold
This is something a little bit different for a niche crowd of skilled resin artists. This set contains 22 molds in silicone with detailed depictions of the Major Arcana Tarot. This includes figures like the Hanged Man, Hermit, Empress, and more. The shapes allow for intricate colorful creations but they are not for beginners.
1) A great gift for tarot lovers
2) Each mold is very detailed
1) A complex project
8) Sanglow Silicone Resin Mold for Book Lovers
There are a few different sets of silicone resin molds that fit into different hobbies aside from gaming. This set for bookworms has two different items to make. First, you get the page holder thumb ring in a few different shapes, then you get the bookmarks in various sizes. You can get creative with designs and at one of the silky tassels to finish it off.
1) A nice range of shapes to choose from
2) The extra tassels are a nice touch
1) Be careful dyes don’t transfer into books
9) LET’S RESIN Guitar Pick Resin Molds
This next set is great for those with a love of music. You can a series of molds for guitar picks, where you can design your own or create gifts for loved ones. There is also a larger mold in the shape of a guitar with recesses for storing picks. This set is great for creative designs. However, some say that the set is more decorative than practical due to the thickness of the resin pick.
1) A simple shape where you can play with designs
2) The additional pick holder
1) Not the most practical item
10) Feniron Large Resin Molds Dream Catcher
Finally, we have something that is incredibly beautiful and decorative. This silicone mold for resin comprises of several shapes that form a dreamcatcher. There are several feather elements that are organic in shape and look great when connected to the main web. It is a fun alternative design but it is one of the more intricate options, so it could be tricky to get the pieces out and strung together
1) A fun building project
2) The organic shapes of the feather
1) Too fiddly for younger users
My Top Pick Out Of The Best Silicone Molds For Resin
There is so much variety out there that it is very difficult to recommend one single product. Personally, I am drawn to the more decorative and practical items. I think that the domino and chess set kits are brilliant for that blend of creativity and functionality. There is a great sense of pride in building something you can use in fun family games. The molds also allow for some creative expression. I also think that the Halloween mold set has a similar vibe for family fun and design ideas.
However, if you are just starting out with silicone molds for resin and want a more simple approach, it may be better to go with something less complex. The Alphabet key chain set is a great choice because they are customizable and great little gifts. The kid’s Christmas set isn’t far behind for a festive project.
Why Is Silicone Such A Good Material For Resin Casting?
Silicone is a wonderful material for casting of any kind because it is so durable, hygienic, and easy to turn out. A rigid plastic mold is too much like hard work – it is like using a silicone ice cube tray instead of an old-fashioned plastic one. Silicone saves so much time and effort that you can get better results and kids aren’t going to get frustrated.
Can You Use Soap And Candle Molds For Resin Casting?
Potentially. It all depends on the thickness of the silicone and the shape of the mold. Some may not lend themselves to casting in resin but are great for wax, soap, or fondant.
Should You Grease The Mold Before Adding Resin?
There are some people that say that you should do so to create a protective barrier between the resin and silicone. It might help the piece come out. But, you are also adding something that might affect the set or color of the resin. The best silicone molds for resin shouldn’t require this extra help.
What To Look Out For When Choosing The Best Silicone Molds For Resin
1) The theme. Do you want a basic set of shapes or letters to play with or something with a more specific end goal? Some of the best resin silicone molds have a practical side such as games pieces, bottle openers, and light holders.
2) The number of molds in the set. Are there enough pieces there to create a set of items or enough variation in styles? Some products have one design for repeated use. Others offer variations to suit different tastes.
3) Decorative elements. Some sets will come with additional features like glitter or sequins to add to the resin. You can stir these into a formula or sprinkle them into the mold for a fun effect.
4) Tools. There are also plenty of sets that come with sticks, droppers, and other elements to create a better result in the mold. Additional tools may also mean keychain rings and other practical elements for functional objects
5) The ease of use. Check user reviews to see how easy it is to get the piece out of the mold and if the molds are durable enough for repeated use. Some of these kits are great for kids because of the basic shape and thinker molds. Others are more intricate and need some thought regarding the placement of color.
6) The quality of the finished piece. How easy it is to get a perfect shape and an item that works as advertised? Are they prone to bubbles and rough edges?
Finding The Best Silicone Resin Molds For Your Needs
In the end, the final choice has to come down to your skillset, confidence levels, and how much you want from a kit. There are products here that are perfect starting points before moving onto a themed or novelty item. Even then, some of those pieces are more adult and require a steady hand and forward planning. Make sure to get a good idea of what the sets expect from you as an artist and that they are going to be enjoyable to use. Once you get the hang of them, you can work your way up to bigger and better things.
I’m a stay at home mom with our two kids. I really enjoy doing crafts with my kids however, that is typically a challenge with how limited their attention span can be and how messy it gets. So, I’m always looking for ways to make crafting an enjoyable experience and fond memory for all of us.