Looking for something new to try with the kids? Or maybe all of your playdough has dried out. Try making cloud dough. It’s 2 simple ingredients that you might already have at home. It’s soft and fun to play with too when compared to playdough.
To make cloud dough you need:
- 1 cup of baby oil
- 8 cups of flour
- Food coloring is optional
Simple combine the two ingredients and decided if you’d like to add some color. My kids wanted a few colors. So, after we made the cloud dough, I divided the cloud dough into 3 parts and then added the food coloring.
Cloud dough feels like playdough, yet it’s softer and you guessed it lighter like how a cloud would feel, I’m guessing. You can mold it into shapes and if you put it in an airtight container it will last for some time without getting hard.
Can You Make Cloud Dough Without Baby Oil?
There are a few ways to make cloud dough. The alternative to baby oil and flour is to use conditioner and corn starch. Take 2 cups cornstarch and 1 cup condition and mix those together until they’re combined, and there you have it!
You can use regular conditioner or scented conditioner. However, scented conditioner gives the cloud dough a nice aroma.
Another way to make cloud dough without baby oil is to use olive oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil. These oils will work similarly to using baby oil and best yet, they’re edible just in case! Unlike using baby oil for cloud dough.
Play Ideas with Cloud Dough
- Pretend cooking- get out some measuring cups and spoons and let the kid’s imagination run wild. We love to add muffin pan and reusable muffin liners at our house.
- Create a theme- whether it’s construction trucks working in the dirt or mermaids swimming in the blue water. My kids seam to enjoy play with the cloud dough more when I set them up with a theme.
- Use it in an empty sand/water table- our water table is always empty, unless in use and has tons of toys. We’ll make cloud dough and then dump it in for a something different for the water table. On a side note, our kids love when we fill the water table with water beads. Which I also love when they play with them outside and then I’m not dealing with such a mess.
- Add some items into the cloud dough that the kids can dig out. We like to hide beads and small toy figures. It’s always fun to dig and guess what it is you found before you can see it.
DIY Birthday Cake Cloud Dough
Making your own birthday cake cloud dough is a fun and easy way to celebrate your special day! All you need is some flour, water, and a few other simple ingredients. With this recipe, you can make a delicious and fluffy cloud dough that tastes just like the real thing!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, water, salt, and oil. Stir until the ingredients are well combined.
- Use your hands to knead the dough until it is smooth and pliable. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour a little at a time until it forms a soft, pliable ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut out shapes from the dough.
- Place the cut-out shapes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes, or until the dough is firm and dry to the touch.
- Allow the cloud dough shapes to cool completely before decorating them with icing, sprinkles, or any other desired toppings. Enjoy!
I’m a stay at home mom with our two kids. I really enjoy doing crafts with my kids however, that is typically a challenge with how limited their attention span can be and how messy it gets. So, I’m always looking for ways to make crafting an enjoyable experience and creating fond memory for all of us.