When it comes to accessorizing, bracelets are a must-have. There are so many different types of bracelets that there is something for everyone. From simple and understated to flashy and bold, there is a bracelet out there for you. Here is a comprehensive guide to the most popular types of bracelets and how to make them.
7 Types of Bracelets
- Braided Bracelets
- Resin Bangles
- Wooden Bangles
A wristband is one of the simplest and most popular types of bracelets. It is just a band of material that goes around your wrist. Wristbands come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, so you can find one that fits your style. They are also very versatile and can be worn with any outfit.
How to Make Wristbands
To make fabric wristbands, you will need some basic supplies:
- fabric (of course!)
- ruler or measuring tape
- needle and thread (or a sewing machine)
- iron and ironing board
The first step is to cut the fabric into strips that are about one inch wide. Next, use the ruler or measuring tape to measure the circumference of your wrist. Add about one inch to this measurement to get the length of the fabric strips. Cut the fabric strips to this length.
Now it’s time to sew the fabric strips together. You can do this by hand using a needle and thread, or you can use a sewing machine. If you are using a sewing machine, be sure to set the stitch length to medium or long. Sew two of the fabric strips together, right sides facing each other, with a seam allowance of about ¼ inch. Repeat this process until all of the fabric strips have been sewn together.
If you are hand-sewing the fabric strips together, start by folding one strip in half so that the wrong sides are facing each other. Then, insert the needle through both layers of fabric about ¼ inch from the edge. Sew a running stitch along the edge of the fabric strip. Repeat this process until all of the fabric strips have been sewn together.
Once all of the strips have been sewn together, it’s time to iron them. This will help create a nice, flat surface for sewing the wristband edges together. Set your iron to medium heat and slowly run it over the seams. Be careful not to burn yourself or damage the fabric!
Now that the fabric is all prepared, it’s time to sew the wristband edges together. Fold one long edge of the wristband over by about ½ inch and press with your iron. Then, fold the other long edge over by about ½ inch and press again. Sew along both folded edges with a ¼ inch seam allowance.
Bangles are another popular type of bracelet. They are thin metal bands that fit around your wrist. Bangles come in a variety of styles, including classic gold or silver, colorful enameled designs, and even gemstones. They are perfect for dressing up an outfit or adding some sparkle to your day-to-day look.
How to Make Bangles Bracelets
First, you will need to gather your supplies. For this project, you will need:
- Bangles (we recommend using plastic or metal ones for this project)
- Paint (acrylic paint works well)
- Paper plates or newspaper (to protect your surface while painting)
- Rhinestones or sequins (optional)
Now that you have all of your supplies, it’s time to start painting! Begin by pouring a small amount of each color of paint onto its own paper plate or section of newspaper. Then, dip your bangle into the paint and make sure to cover the entire surface. Once you are finished painting, set the bangle aside to dry. Repeat this process until all of your bracelets are painted.
Once your bracelets are dry, it’s time to add the final touch: the embellishments. This is completely optional, but we think it adds a fun and unique touch. For this step, you will need either rhinestones, sequins, or other small decorative items. Simply apply them to the bracelet using a hot glue gun. And that’s it!
Cuffs are another type of bracelet that is gaining popularity lately. These bracelets have a hinge at one end and wrap around your wrist like a cuff. Cuffs come in all shapes, sizes, and materials, from delicate gold to chunky leather. They are the perfect way to add some edge to your look.
How to Make Cuffs bracelets
To make a Cuffs bracelet, you will need:
- Elastic cord (or any type of string)
- Beads (optional)
Step One: Cut a piece of elastic cord or string to the desired length. For this project, we recommend using a piece that is at least 18 inches long.
Step Two: String your beads onto the elastic cord. You can use as many or as few beads as you like. We used about 20 beads for our bracelet.
Step Three: Tie a knot at one end of the elastic cord and then fold it in half so that the knot is hidden inside the loop. This will create a cuff shape for your bracelet.
Step Four: Use the scissors to cut off any excess cord.
Step Five: Tie a second knot at the other end of the elastic cord and then tuck it inside the loop. Your Cuffs bracelet is now finished!
Chainmaille bracelets are made from interlocking metal rings. They are very strong and durable, making them perfect for everyday wear. Chainmaille bracelets come in a variety of designs, from simple and elegant to bold and statement-making.
How to Make a Chainmaille Bracelet
The first thing you’ll need to do is gather your materials. For this project, you will need some
- Jump rings
You can find all of these items at your local craft store or online. Once you have everything you need, it’s time to start assembling your bracelet!
Begin by opening a jump ring and attaching it to one end of the clasp. Then, add another jump ring to the other end of the clasp. Next, take one of your lengths of chainmaille and attach it to one of the jump rings. Continue adding links until your bracelet is the desired length. Finally, attach the other end of the chainmaille to the remaining jump ring and close it securely.
That’s it! You’ve now successfully made a Chainmaille bracelet. Be sure to experiment with different colors and patterns to create unique pieces that are all your own.
5. Braided bracelets
Braided bracelets are made by weaving together three or more strands of material. They can be made from a variety of materials, including cord, ribbon, and even metal wire. Braided bracelets are very popular because they are unique and can be customized to fit your style.
How to Make a Braided Bracelet
First, cut three pieces of string to equal lengths. You can make your bracelet as long or short as you like, but we recommend starting with about 18 inches of string for a child-sized bracelet.
Next, tie the three strings together at one end, leaving a small tail. This will be the inside of your bracelet, so make sure the knot is tight.
Now it’s time to start braiding! Take the leftmost string and cross it over the middle string. Then take the rightmost string and cross it over the new middle string. Continue crossing strings until you reach the end of your bracelet.
When you’re finished braiding, tie off the ends with a knot and trim any excess string. Give your bracelet a final tug to make sure the knot is tight.
6. Resin bangles
Resin bangles are a type of bracelet that is made from a moldable plastic. They come in all sorts of colors and designs and can be customized to fit your style. Resin bangles are perfect for adding a pop of color to your outfit.
How to Make Resin Bangles Bracelets
- Resin bangle mold(s)
- Epoxy resin (two parts)
- Hardener (one part)
- Paint or dye (optional)
- Brush or stirring stick
- Stovetop or microwave oven
- Measuring cups and spoons
Step One: Mix the Resin Components. To begin, mix together the epoxy resin and hardener in a ratio of two to one. Be sure to use a measuring cup and spoon to ensure accuracy. If you plan on adding any paint or dye to your resin, do so at this time. Stir until the components are fully combined.
Step Two: Pour the Resin into the Mold. Next, pour the resin mixture into the mold. Be sure to fill it completely, making sure there are no air bubbles. If necessary, use a brush or stirring stick to help remove any bubbles that may have formed.
Step Three: Allow the Resin to Cure. Finally, allow the resin to cure for 24 hours. After this time has passed, your bangle bracelet may require some assembly (depending on the mold) and it will be ready to wear!
7. Wooden bangles
Wooden bangles are a type of bracelet that is made from, you guessed it, wood! Wooden bangles come in all sorts of styles, from simple and natural to bold and statement-making. They are the perfect way to add some earthy style to your look.
How to Make Wooden Bangles
Step One: Choose the Wood Type and Size
The first step is to choose the wood type and size. For this project, we recommend using a hardwood like maple or oak. You can find these at your local hardware store or online. The width of the bangle should be about twice the thickness of the wood you choose – for example, if you are using a piece of wood that is ¼ inch thick, then choose a bangle width of ½ inch.
Step Two: Cut the Wood
Next, use a miter saw or jigsaw to cut the wood into a rectangular shape. Make sure to cut it so that it is slightly wider than the desired final size, as you will need to sand it down next.
Step Three: Sand the Edges
Once you have cut the wood to size, use a sanding block to smooth out the edges. You want to make sure that all of the edges are nice and smooth so that they are comfortable to wear.
Step Four: Drill a Hole for the String
Next, you will need to drill a small hole in each end of the bangle. This is where you will thread the string through later. We recommend using a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the width of the string you will be using.
Step Five: Finish with Your Desired Stain or Paint Color
Finally, finish off your bangles with your desired stain or paint color. We recommend using a Minwax wood stain or paint in your desired color. Apply two coats, and let dry completely between coats.
Another Popular Bracelet– Friendship Bracelets
- The first type of friendship bracelet is the classic string bracelet. This type of bracelet is simple, yet stylish, and can be made with any color of string. You can also add beads or charms to personalize this type of bracelet.
- Another popular type of friendship bracelet is the beaded bracelet. Beaded bracelets are usually made with colorful beads and look very pretty. You can find beaded bracelets in a variety of different styles, so you are sure to find one that your best friend will love!
- If you are looking for a more unique friendship bracelet, you may want to consider making a charm bracelet. Charm bracelets are fun because they allow you to add charms that represent your friendship. You can also add charms that represent things that are important to your best friend.
- If you want to add a personal touch to your friendship bracelet, you may want to consider adding initials. You can either have your initials engraved on the bracelet, or you can add them as charms. Either way, this is a great way to show your best friend how much you care about them!
9 Types of Knots for Bracelets: How to Make Cords and Chains Look Great
Knots are an essential part of bracelet making. They can be used to create different patterns, add interest, and make the bracelet more comfortable to wear. There are many different types of knots, but some of the most popular include:
- Slipknot: The slipknot is a very simple knot that is often used as a starting point for more complex knots. It is also used to adjust the size of the bracelet.
- Overhand Knot: The overhand knot is one of the most basic knots. It is often used to secure the ends of cords or chains.
- Half Hitch Knot: The half hitch knot is another basic knot that is commonly used in making bracelets. It can be used to create loops or to attach cords and chains together.
- Square Knot: The square knot is one of the most popular knots for bracelet making. It is easy to learn but can be tricky to tie correctly.
- Thousand Eye Knot: The thousand eye knot is a complex knot that is used to add interest and detail to bracelets. It takes some practice to tie correctly, but the results are worth it!
- Fishtail Knot: The fishtail knot is another complex knot that can be used to add interest and detail to bracelets. It is also a great way to use up extra cord or chain.
- Braid Knot: The braid knot is a simple knot that can be used to create a woven look. It is perfect for adding texture to bracelets.
- Chain Knot: The chain knot is a simple knot that can be used to attach cords and chains together. It is the perfect way to add interest to simple chains.
- Lark’s Head Knot: The lark’s head knot is another simple knot that can be used to attach cords and chains together. It is quick and easy to tie, making it ideal for beginners.
Hopefully you found a new bracelet to make and even better, some directions on how to do so. We’d love to see your finished bracelet! Share it with us @justcraftingaround_com or #justcraftingaround
I’m a stay at home mom with our two kids. I really enjoy doing crafts with my kids however, that is typically a challenge with how limited their attention span can be and how messy it gets. So, I’m always looking for ways to make crafting an enjoyable experience and creating fond memory for all of us.